To make the most out of any entertaining plans taking place this weekend, be sure to get your Falcon at the ready and enjoy a few fresh and summery spreads. Check out these two colourful salad recipes from the Social Pantry team who have used delicious ingredients such as pearl barley and pickled beet. Both of these would make delicious sides for dinner plans or energising options for lunch. Don’t forget your Prep Set, Serving Trays and Utensils of course!
Pearl Barley & Green Olive Salad
300g pearl barley
100g pitted green olives, chopped in half
4 x large juicy tomatoes, diced
25g sunflower seeds, toasted
1 lemon, juiced
2-3tbsp good quality virgin olive oil
1 bunch of fresh basil leaves
1 bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley
25g flaked almonds, toasted
Cracked black pepper
Maldon sea salt
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and pour in the pearl barley and cook as per packet instructions, or 25-30 minutes. Strain and cool under cold running water.
- Whilst it cools, make the dressing. Finely chop the fresh herbs, add the sunflower seeds, add the olive oil, lemon juice and seasoning (to taste).
- Combine the pearl barley with the olives and tomatoes, stir through the dressing and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
Pickled Beet Salad
100g white wine vinegar
60g castor sugar
1 star anise
3 juniper berries
1 x cucumber, diced
1 x candied beet
1 x pack of cooked beet, cut into wedges
1 x large bag of mixed leaf salad
1 x pack of little gem
Maldon sea salt
1 x lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F fan
- Add all of the pickling ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil – making sure all of the sugar has been dissolved and then put to one side and allow to cool.
- Finely slice the candied beet, using a mandolin and pour over the cooled pickling liquor and leave.
- Meanwhile, coat the beet wedges in a little olive oil, season and place on a baking tray and roast to give them some golden colour.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and quickly blanch the samphire and refresh in iced water.
- In a separate bowl, making the dressing by mixing 1tbsp lemon juice & 3tbsp olive oil and season.
- Tear up the little gem, add your mixed leaves, pickled and roasted beet, cucumber, samphire and drizzle over the dressing.